Siku njema ya kuzaliwa! (Swahili)
Grattis pa fodelsedagen! (Swedish)
Happy Birthday, Lincoln!! (English)
I never imagined ever celebrating your birthday in Africa, yet here we are! I shouldn’t really be that surprised; the entire last year was full of surprises. Since your last birthday, so much has happened. You have grown even taller, started driving, learned to pole vault, added Latin to your languages (you are an awesome polyglot!), started a year-round job at a local pub, performed an amazing All State Level VI saxophone solo with piano accompaniment at NYSSMA, started your college search, ran a half-marathon, and have a girlfriend!
And all that is in addition to the other things you do, from being an officer in the German club, to running cross country and indoor/outdoor track, taking AP/Honors classes, walking the dog and cuddling the cat, volunteering in the community, helping around the house, and hosting your friends for study sessions and movies.
You’ve grown into a confident, entertaining, smart young man, whose quick wit and keen observations are appreciated by all who know you. Your teachers have emailed us to share how much they enjoy having you in class, and your friends provided kind input for your NHS application when asked “how do others describe you?” From their adjectives and observations, I am so happy to see your humor and kindness carry out into the world. It really is a better place because you are in it. I love that the people you are meeting abroad will have you to think of when they picture an American.
I hope that the coming year continues to unfold with incredible experiences, steadfast friendships, and even more personal growth. Enjoy exploring new interests, being curious, and expanding your world. And please remember the risk management lessons I’ve taught you! You are an incredible kid, Lincoln, and I love being your mom. Happy, happy birthday! Make a wish!

No comments:
Post a Comment