Wednesday, June 1, 2022

May media diet

This Blogger theme requires a photo or it looks stupid.

A decent month by volume, but not a ton of quality here. 

Movies

The Batman - HBO Max | Don’t tell my 10-year-old self, but there is such a thing as too much Batman. No reason for this movie to exist in the wake of "The Dark Knight" trilogy. Adds nothing to the mythology, just recasts everyone. And the colorless cinematography, awful.

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - Theatrical | A lot zany, a little creepy, but not even sniffing my top 5 Marvel movie list. Still, Marvel movies are now the only reason to ever go to the theater. Plus, naming the new character “America” was a baller move from an espionage standpoint — imagine how lines like “America, trust yourself, trust your power” play in a Beijing multiplex?

Moonfall - Redbox | Even Halle Berry needs a paycheck now and again, apparently. This movie was exactly as bad as the title would indicate. But I love end-of-the-world disaster movies, so I spent the $1.25 to rent it. Should have saved that money for an iced coffee.

The Lake House - Netflix | Carey got to pick the movie on Mother's Day and this Keanu Reeves/Sandra Bullock supernatural romance was her choice. She's seen it half a dozen times and I've probably seen it half those times. We both love the concept -- love is truly timeless.

TV

Moon Knight - Disney + | This one went immediately to the bottom of my Marvel series list. For those of you keeping score it’s "WandaVision," “Loki,” “Hawkeye,” “The Falcon and the Winter Soldier," and "What If…?,” though I think I missed a few eps of the latter. Anyway, the kids say I don’t know enough Egyptian mythology to appreciate “Moon Knight,” but I wanted more from Oscar Isaac than a ridiculous British accent.

Books

Sparring Partners by John Grisham | The guy who’s written almost five dozen bestselling legal novels tries his hand at a trio of novellas and guess what? Each of them probably should have been a novel. “Strawberry Moon” was the only one I truly enjoyed. Just 50 pages from the perspective of a young man on death row in his final hours as he tries to make sense of his life. Read my AP review.

Swing and a Hit: Nine Innings of What Baseball Taught Me by Paul O’Neill
| You’ll never extinguish my flame for those Yankees teams that won four ‘ships in six years, but this book does its best. Poorly written, not nearly enough amusing or untold anecdotes, and a relentless focus on the art of something I don’t really care much about — hitting a baseball. He’s got 5 World Series rings and has been an awesome broadcaster on the YES Network for two decades now, so I think Paul O’Neill will survive my negative review.

Cabin Fever by Michael Smith and Jonathan Franklin | The books editor at the AP pleaded with me to review this one, I think as a favor to the publisher. The writers are two journalists and it’s a non-fiction account of one of the cruise ships that was at sea when COVID struck in March 2020. The 1,200+ passengers and hundreds of crew members spent six weeks trapped on board, as no country would allow them to dock and disembark. A few people died and hundreds were sickened, but given what the entire world went through, it honestly doesn’t seem that bad. Then again, my “lockdown” didn’t involve a 6’ x 8’ windowless room with bland meals left on a tray outside my door.

7 comments:

  1. Happy to see the media diet, but disappointed by some of the reviews. Didn't like The Batman?! What?! I would argue it's better than all of Chris Nolan's trilogy, save The Dark Knight, and I think it's at least on par with that film. And colorless is the precise word I would use to describe the drab and dilapidated Gotham City, so why shouldn't the cinematography reflect that? And it truly breaks my heart to hear you say that the only reason to go to the theater is for a Marvel movie. No! you should go to the theaters so you can see the movie you want to see on the biggest screen possible, in the darkest room possible, with the best sound possible. It's cinema, baby! I don't want to leave this review of your reviews (very meta stuff) on a sour note, so I will say that I agree with your assessment of Moon Knight and while I haven't read those books I'll be sure to read your reviews. Till next month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Matt. Let's start with the premise that film criticism -- all artistic criticism, perhaps -- is very subjective. I think The Dark Knight trilogy was the pinnacle of Batman storytelling and I don't think The Batman added any deeper understanding or appreciation of the comic book character. It was simply another depiction of the same story, only with more eye black used by Bruce Wayne under his cowl. As for theatrical visits, I love the huge screen and the surround sound, too, but would argue that Hollywood is only making CGI heavy films for that format. I didn't need to see the last two Best Picture winners in the theater, for example. "Nomadland" and "CODA" were just fine on my 65" TV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course film criticism is subjective and I'm not here to say your opinion is wrong. I didn't try (or want) to frame The Batman within previous works of Batman which if you have a strong attachment (read the comics, seen all of the movies, etc.) then I can understand not responding to the film the same way I did. However, I am of the opinion that nearly every film is elevated by the theatrical movie-going experience. Theaters provide an immersive experience that lends itself to greater investment in the film which I cannot re-create that in my living room. CODA is still a four star movie at home or in the theater, but I know (and I really do know) that I will enjoy the film more in theaters and that is important to me. What can I say, I love movies! I hope you find greater enjoyment in next month's slate. (I deleted the previous post because there was a typo and I felt a strong urge to fix it)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny -- I was much more of a theater booster pre-COVID, but now, I can count on one hand the movies I have seen or wanted to see at the multiplex in the last couple years (all Marvel, Top Gun 2 -- hoping to see it this weekend!, maybe Dune (though it was free on HBO, so we didn't)). The favorite part of my old AP job was sitting in a screening room on any given day watching a movie either by myself or with a few other media members. It's crazy how many random buildings in NYC have really nice theaters somewhere in them! Screens not as huge as your local Regal, but much bigger than any TV and the sound a lot better. It was always the coolest perk. Can't wait to see where your career takes you -- Hollywood needs passionate young people like you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Same here.... I look forward to the Top Gun Maverick review. We loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you have a more lighthearted June. Not sure why you were so disgruntled in May. :)

    ReplyDelete