Wednesday, November 12, 2025

This is what a veteran looks like

Carey declared yesterday that after Thanksgiving and her Birthday, Veterans Day is her favorite holiday. She can speak for herself, of course, but I think it's because she's so proud of being part of a select group who served, which of course she is -- Google tells me about 6% of American adults are military veterans. Throw in the fact that she's a 53-year-old female and she's even more of a unicorn. So it's fitting that on Veterans Day this unicorn gets free stuff. Here's a text Carey sent me yesterday evening when I was working the UAlbany Men's Basketball game:

Panera ✅ 
Starbucks ✅ 
Target ✅ 
Dunkin ✅ 
Texas Roadhouse ✅ 
Dave & Busters ✅ 
Applebee's ✅ 
Chipotle ✅ 
Ocean State Job Lots ✅ 
Stewart’s ✅ 

The green checkmark indicates that she secured some sort of food or retail discount yesterday at those establishments. A free tall coffee, a free donut, BOGO entrees at Chipotle, etc. I haven't bothered to do the math, but I was there for Panera, Starbucks, Dunkin, Texas Roadhouse and Dave & Busters and can confirm that we're talking about at least $200. I wasn't around for dinner, but Carey told me she had a great conversation over a free bacon cheeseburger at Applebee's with a Navy vet who served on the USS Saratoga from 1971-1977. So there you have it: Give Uncle Sam 10 years of your career and once a year you can shop and eat without as much inflation. Proud of you, honey!

No comments:

Post a Comment