Another ✅ off the endurance sport bucket list! Carey and I pedaled 30.68 miles through the paved and gravel roads of Columbia County, N.Y., on Saturday with a couple hundred or so other hearty souls. Most were older, most were male, all were astride bikes with a starting price of $2,000. My Apple Watch provides the stats.
Carey was a trooper, having exercised much less than me in the past five years, but her biking muscles still work! She never dismounted and just stayed in a low gear to grind up the long climbs. The elevation was no joke, with each descent followed by another climb. A bike race announcer would not call these "rollers." The longest climb was just over a mile, but it was on a lovely gravel road with pastoral views to the left and right. The township of Chatham, which is what we mostly pedaled around, is an interesting mix of beautiful second homes with Audis in the driveway and stone walls marking the property, combined with rural ranch houses that feature rusted cars and other possessions in the front yard. The dichotomy of America, I guess.
 |
| I was a good spouse and waited at the top of each major climb. |
 |
| The start and finish was at S&S Farm Brewery, with lots of free cookies and donuts! I almost ate one. Almost! |
No comments:
Post a Comment