Monday, May 22, 2023

Das Wochenende

A fun one, albeit with a yucky ending. Greta is the third Merrill down with a stomach bug today, staying home and trying to keep down toast and applesauce. It hit her yesterday in Vernon, N.Y., after her 12-mile mountain bike race at Tilden Farms. Like Michael Jordan during Game 5 of the NBA Finals in 1997 or my father one autumn day in the 60's when he rushed for 200 yards with smallpox or some such, she had her best race ever. Lincoln crushed it, too, as did I, sweeping the freshmen girls race -- with all of us riding 3 laps on a greasy, flowy course. I know I've said it in this blog before, but I really like these events. Bike culture is just so welcoming and fun. I wish I'd embraced it more 35 years ago.


But let's back up. On Saturday, Carey represented the Merrill family at niece/cousin Allison's graduation from Onondaga Community College. She's off to Cobleskill next year to finish her four-year degree. Congrats, Alli! 

I stayed home to work the NCAA Men's Lacrosse quarterfinals, hosted by UAlbany and featuring some high-profile schools. Duke crushed Michigan (Sorry, Happy Gilmores) and UVA topped Georgetown. My former boss was running camera 1 for ESPNU while I handled replays. Very fun. The kids stayed home to attend Niska Day and Greta sent just one photo of her and her friend Elise, who I think were volunteering at the Recycling Club table.


No comments:

Post a Comment