Really very little to share, but I'm in danger of missing my goal of 200 posts in 2021, so here goes. My work is really slow in the month or two following the union's annual convention. Some days it's a chore to sit in my office for 8 hours. But I do it, because, you know, pay check. We do have a rally planned in Rochester on Nov. 22, so that's something. But it's pretty silly. A few hundred of our very vocal members are angry that the governor signed a bill in September reforming parole laws. They say it makes their jobs as parole officers much more difficult. Takes away their ability to hold parolees accountable. All true, but also all moot. A law is a law and the time to change it is when it's just a bill. It's like we forgot those Schoolhouse Rock lyrics. I guess the end goal is to introduce some amendments in the next session to try and mitigate the law's harmful effects. We'll see.
Anyway.
Carey's job seems fairly busy. The DEC commissioner recently attended the COP26 climate summit in Glasgow, along with my brother in law. I don't know if they shared a scotch. She enjoyed researching carbon credits in advance of the trip. Talk about silly. You can fly across the ocean if you donate $20 to some green cause. I think that's how it works. She's also working on setting up a risk management "office" at the DEC and leadership seems amenable. Writing her own ticket, as they say.
The kids are enjoying in-person education again. Masked all day, but that seems to be about it. We still get a daily email from the school district identifying a handful of daily COVID cases throughout the system, but we haven't yet had to quarantine. I think since they're both vaccinated, they wouldn't have to, anyway? As everyone knows, the rules aren't exactly universal. Fingers crossed it doesn't come roaring back as people refuse to get boosters and the weather gets colder, but I'm not sure crossing fingers is going to prevent that. My gut says COVID is here like a deadlier version of the flu and it's just a matter of figuring out if those of us who want to survive and limit the virus' spread are getting shots every six months for the rest of our lives. As for the rest of 'em? I really wish they'd stop being so obdurate. Or at least do me the favor of looking up the definition of the word.
Matthew Gilmore says it ain't a post without a photo, so here's three. Lincoln, pleased that he's outgrown the love seat; Greta and Yeager cuddling after a couple episodes of "Community"; and the dog sleeping on a pillow.



Matthew Gilmore seems to be a smart person. Also, are 'the kids' truly enjoying an in-person education or are you using that idiomatically? I certainly don't prefer in-person.
ReplyDeleteGreta reads this blog, so can weigh in, but I think they much prefer being in person to virtual. Not anything to do with their health and safety, just the quality of the instruction, I think.
ReplyDelete