Friday, April 24, 2020

A decade and a half ago!

As Greta's 15th birthday approaches, Shutterfly is sending me weekly reminders of "This Day 15 Years Ago." Today it was Carey in the hospital, those 16 very long days before Greta was born on May 5. These 3 images are from April 23, 2005. I vividly remember calling my sister from underneath a huge oak tree on the Bethesda Naval Hospital grounds. I'd never been so scared and it still makes me proud that I turned to her in my hour of need. For 33 years I'd always been mostly in control and here was something I couldn't control -- she was coming or not coming into the world no matter what I did. I remember so many little details of the experience -- the dot-matrix printouts we'd pore over every morning to see what happened to her heartbeat overnight, the flummoxed doctors who constantly debated with one another about how long to wait before an emergency c-section, and then the eventual word that we were going to have a baby ... TODAY. I asked for an hour so I could shower and put on my finest Dave Matthews Band concert t-shirt. It's one of my bigger regrets in life (and what a life if your regret is about not blogging, huh?) that I didn't blog her first nine months, but I've tried to make up for that oversight most days since.



No comments:

Post a Comment