Sunday, September 1, 2019

Busy, busy, busy!

As summer hits its traditional Labor Day close, three people (all family) have expressed frustration directly to me that this blog has not been updated since Aug. 21. My retort? Their blogs have zero posts. C'mon, people, it's a hell of an accomplishment that I've been doing this for THIRTEEN YEARS. An 11-day summer break is a forgivable sin. Next year I'll be more transparent about it so you don't have to spend time refreshing this page in the morning only to be disappointed.

So, where were we? Greta and Esme, by all accounts, crushed it at BHMC. There are quite a few videos and some grainy iPhone photography in our cloud, but I don't have the patience. Perhaps Greta herself can blog about the experience.

Meanwhile, here at home, Lincoln completed a week of Archaeological Summer Camp at the Ten Broeck Mansion in Albany. He didn't hate it, I'll say that much. Though he did have a point when he said it didn't need to be seven hours each day. In the end, they helped excavate part of the grounds where records indicate some structure once existed. Each group was tasked with finding evidence to support one of two hypotheses -- was it a greenhouse or was it a kitchen? Linc and his partner concluded kitchen, having found ample glass and some sort of cut bone -- maybe a goat leg? His coolest artifact, though, was a fireplace turnkey.

Last week marked the start of cross country practice for Linc and the final push for Greta's Girl Scout Silver award. Linc came home each morning red-faced and looking healthy. He clocked an 8:30 mile in their test and looks to be one of the faster boys in his age group. First meet is September 11, can't wait! Grandparents, he has Saturday races on Sept. 14, 21 and Oct. 26. Ask your child for additional details.

As for the Silver Award, it was turned in on Friday and will be evaluated this month. Greta really committed in the final weeks, doing lots of research about how to change the town code and presenting before multiple committees and councils. I think her sponsors were impressed and it's going to happen -- the citizenry of Niskayuna will be able to safely cross Nott St. between the library and town hall.

It's Labor Day eve now as I type and the rest of the family is coming home from Syracuse tomorrow. We all enjoyed a loooong day at the New York State Fair on Saturday and I came home this morning for a UAlbany Women's Soccer game. They stayed an extra day to help build grandma's backyard shed and to play with ... wait for it ... two new puppies, who will star in a future blog post. How's that for a tease?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update! Unfortunately for you, you set high expectations early for frequency of posting. You should have slacked a little more like the rest of us. :)

    I hope it's not another 11 days before the next post. I'm not sure I can wait that long to find out about the puppies.

    ReplyDelete