Friday, April 3, 2026

Turkana, Amboseli, Nairobi, Oh My!

Ed's Note: Greta wrote the below this week and WhatsApped me a slew of photos to post with it. Not sure I matched each up with the appropriate adventure! She is off on her sixth (seventh?) safari this weekend, driving 5+ hours to eastern Kenya and the Maasai Mara game reserve on the border of Tanzania, where the Baileys and Merrills safaried together for the first time in June 2024).
 
I appreciate the thoughtful cat and cousin updates, but I think it is past time for another Nairobi post. I returned from the Turkana Basin Institute on March 13.  Highlights included visiting Lake Turkana, searching for fossils at Lothagam, using a UV light to locate scorpions, and stargazing at the Milky Way. Sophia almost drowned crossing a river, but we made it through. 
 









 
After returning to Nairobi, I began my research intern position with Kounkuey Design Initiative. I love the work and my coworkers have been delightful. 

Following my first week of work, AU took us to Amboseli National Park. Seeing Mt. Kilimanjaro (or "Kili," as our guide called it) was truly amazing. Is it bad some part of me thought it would be bigger? 

 


Caution: Elephant Crossing.


Cheetah.

Ed's note: Easily her best photo of the trip! That's "Kili" in the background.

 
 
 

At the end of this trip, Sofia M. was bitten (unprovoked!) by a monkey. She's currently getting a series of rabies shots. As a group, we've decided that all variations of "Sophia" have rotten luck. 

Last weekend was also lots of fun. Kira had a school festival on Saturday and so I pretended to be Swedish and paraded with the Bailey Bunch for ISK's annual Taste of Nations event. Emma and I split our food tickets to sample as many treats as possible, but both of us agree the German sausage stand was the best. Dad, you would have loved it. 





Sunday brought an annual market colloquially called the Biz Baz to UN avenue which I explored with friends. I also did my godsister duty and bought Kira some boba. The food, crafts, clothes, candles, spices, soaps and more were overwhelming, and I'm accepting donations if anyone wants a specific souvenir.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! A foreign dispatch via WhatsApp. Quite an operation you all are running. Looks like a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good job matching! Only edit is that the two green photos (me standing +rainbow) are also Amboseli. Maasai Mara is amazing! - G

      Delete