Over Easter, my friends and I joined a three-day group budget safari to Maasai Mara National Park. Our safari vehicle had three other solo travelers (two women and one man) who never quite answered our question, "what made you want to come to Kenya?" The man in particular, who was from Türkiye, spent 20 minutes telling me how I was going to get malaria which was really a lovely one-sided conversation before Sofia reminded him that we've been here for three months.
But for the interesting group dynamics, the park was amazing. It's mating season for lions, so males and females were out and about. We also saw a cheetah, leopard, lots of impala, buffalo, zebras, and giraffe. We were pleasantly surprised by our accommodations at Rhino Tourist Camp. Our platform tent fit three twin beds and the shower was actually hot! Amber was bit by what google called a "rural fly with a taste for city flesh," but her nose only swelled up a little and we all had a good laugh about continuing our safari bite streak (Sofia gets her final rabies shot on Sunday). My internship ends Friday, and then it is off to the coast for a week!
Enjoy some pictures!
![]() |
| Cheetah |
![]() |
| I could have touched him but I didn't |
![]() |
| Maribu Stork |








I love these pics!!!
ReplyDeleteGreat photos! I see you're up to date on geopolitical naming conventions. This might be the first time I've seen anyone spell Turkey "correctly"!
ReplyDeleteWho are these anonymous trolls?? Carah is first, I think ... Matthew second? And why can't you sign in with your Google acocunt?
ReplyDeleteI was on my work laptop. We left lovely comments so no need to call us "trolls."
DeleteThere must be a setting on here to prohibit anonymous comments. :-)
Delete