Tuesday, April 28, 2026

Reunion II

For the first time in I think over a decade, we met the Gilmores on our New York home turf as they moved Riley into her new apartment in Stamford, Conn. It was a little odd seeing them just a couple months after our annual get together in North Carolina, but they're good people, so we did not run out of things to talk about. Although there was too much of this:


I'm not sure precise color decisions were made, but apparently Carey and I have now committed to painting our house this summer. I think maybe there are three different colors? Siding, shutters and trim? Kim was gracious and agreed that if it costs more than $6,000 she'll pay the difference. There was apparently some money left in Carah's college account. Yay!

What else? Oh, the food! Peter Girard probably should have given up interpreting scientific studies and climate data for media consumption years ago and just opened his own restaurant. I was there for two super meals that any Westchester establishment would charge at least $45/plate for -- lamb chops with a roasted pecan and pomegranate salad, and perfectly tender salmon with a mustard glaze and snow peas.  After dinner on Saturday night we introduced Ryan, Kim and Riley to Hitster, the Deutschland edition. And wouldn't you know it -- they won with some beginner's luck. But Sara made the funniest joke of the year prompted by a German cover of "Let Your Love Flow" that was oddly renamed "Ein Bett im Kornfield" (A Bed in a Cornfield) and prompted memories of high school hookups among the stalks.  


 

3 comments:

  1. Why does Kim have a bandage on her wrist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got me, anonymous troll. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. from one anonymous troll to another, apparently. Blogger stinks.

      Delete