Day 2 started with a lovely solo bike ride through the city to meet Olivia at a delicious bakery. My noisy hostel mates meant I got an early start, so I spent the early hours admiring the controlled chaos of bike rush hour and enjoying my cappuccino (which I ordered in Danish!) at Coffee Collective, a chain across the city. The Danish barista humored me and only started talking in English after I ordered.
No photos of the food, but Olivia insisted that I try the bakery's BMO. There's a long Danish name, but it's basically a sourdough bun with butter and cheese. Delicious!
After breakfast, we biked to the first tourist spot of the day: the Round Tower or Rundetaarn. The tower was built in 1637 by King Christian IV and meant to serve as part of the Trinity Complex, which includes the Observatory at the top of the tower, the University Library above Trinity Church, and Trinity Church at the base of the tower.
The spiral climb was a lot of fun, and there was a gallery in the middle with an exhibit of magnified pictures of chemical reactions. Good to know that if this whole college thing doesn't work out I too can sell close ups of sulfur for thousands.
![]() |
| Olivia in the Gallery. |
We went back to the Studenterhuset to warm up before exploring a nearby Danish bookstore. Then, it was time to meet Emma Bailey (!) at the train station. She made the trip from the University of Malmo in Sweden to say hello. We had a delicious lunch at a sandwich shop and spent the rest of the day exploring several Christmas markets. It was also Thanksgiving, so we obviously had to search for pie.
![]() |
Our search was successful! |
Am nächsten... Berlin!






Care to share the label for the cheap wine? I continue to envy the Danes and their bikes.
ReplyDeleteThe bottle we got was a Washington state white wine (Olivia is from there originally), but the label has been lost to time. The Danish classic glogg was also consumed. - Greta
ReplyDelete