Sunday, July 17, 2022

Day trip to Newport!

Carey and I kicked off our week of vacation with a brisk 3.5 hour drive to Newport, R.I., Saturday morning. My friend Gardner's mom, Maris Humphreys, passed away in May and they held a celebration of her life at the Emmanuel Church downtown, where she was a lifelong congregant.  One of the most beautiful churches I've been inside in the U.S., but alas, I did not think it was appropriate to take photos of the ornate woodwork and the stained glass windows. After a lunch on our own at The Oyster Bar (Lemon Garlic Shrimp & Spinach salad for her, breadless Blackened Salmon BLT for me, and a starter of smoked bluefish that reminded us both fondly of the Girard bluefish pate that was such a hit at our wedding reception), we met up with Gardner and his wife Allison for a walk around the Sachuest Point National Wildlife Refuge, where I picked up two ticks, but we enjoyed lovely views of the Atlantic and endless birdsong.





 
We're home today, cleaning the house and resting, then enjoying some staycation activities to start the week (I'm thinking biking and mini-golf, probably the Thor movie, despite the bad reviews). Off to South Lake on Wednesday through next weekend.

1 comment:

  1. So excellent you both could be with us! Meant a lot to us and now you know my fave local quick walk.

    ReplyDelete