Thursday, May 5, 2022

Sensational 17!

Happy Birthday, Greta! It is hard to believe we are already celebrating your birthday... the last 12 months flew by. I guess that makes sense, though, as you have been constantly on the go (and we have racked up the vehicle miles and KN95s to prove it!). 

Since your sweet 16, you zipped through the last few weeks of sophomore year, rocking AP and Regents exams, excelling at NYSSMA, and making plans for a hectic summer and junior year. I admire how focused and organized you were, despite the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic.

In July, you enjoyed The Leading Edge camp at Albany Academies as well as the third and final Horizons Camp at Clarkson University. Both enhanced your public speaking skills and refined your understanding and demonstration of leadership characteristics. You loved living in the Clarkson dorm for a week, and I had to caution you that it was unlikely you would score a suite with a window seat and oversized bath your first year of college. The fact that your participation at AA resulted in a recommendation for you to become a camp counselor this summer (and led to you being offered a job!) shows that you got a great return on the investment you made. I enjoyed having you commute with me for those two weeks and look forward to you joining me this summer (even though it means I won’t get to telecommute!).

You also enjoyed a week at Bristol Hills Music Camp, reunited with many friends from last year. Your days were incredibly full as you provided additional support to the junior camper band and snapped dozens of photos for the end of camp slide show.  You are debating whether to enjoy another year as a camper or apply as a Counselor in Training this summer and I am sure whatever you decide will make for a fun week later this summer.
 
Junior year kicked off with intense academics (missing lunch again every other day), and many extracurricular activities.  Horticulture club, rocketry club, book club, French club, creative writing club, yoga club, and Model UN filled before- and after-school hours. You were thrilled to have a short story selected for national publication, enjoyed cloning geraniums, and did a phenomenal job planning and organizing Nisky's participation in the Spring Break MUN conference.  You also joined the art crew for the high school musical, building and painting sets for a great production of Mamma Mia.  While your dad and I appreciate all those activities, we are most excited by your decision to join the Niskayuna Mohawk Mountain Goat Biking team.  You practiced all winter and have built strong skills and increased confidence. We are proud of your effort and enthusiasm for a sport you wanted no part of five years ago!
 
You also spent much of the last year kicking your baking skills to new heights with all sorts of challenging creations, from lemon curd to phyllo dough to profiteroles.  I often break my no-gluten rule because your amazing creations are so irresistible!.  I hope you enjoy the food scale you got for your birthday (every serious baker needs one, right?!) and can't wait for your European recipe collection to come to life.

Your responsible and independent demeanor facilitated success with your driving permit exam (100!), has resulted in a manageable list of potential colleges (keeping it to a dozen!), and helped you prepare for the SAT (1520!) and this year's NYSSMA level VI solo ("Outstanding" rating, btw!). I marvel at how adept you are at self-study and your aptitude for standardized tests.  Such skills are bound to help as you complete this school year and next, as well as attend college.

Speaking of college and the next chapter that awaits, I love sharing this part of your journey. It has been a lot of fun to look at university mailings and visit campuses in person.  I hope we can minimize your stress and help you simply enjoy the variety of opportunities you have.  Know you have our full support as you sift through the choices.

 
I didn't get to comment on your care of Mittens and Yeager, your love/love less relationship with Lincoln, or your dedication to your friends and extended family. There are other highlights from the year that spring to mind (like tulip digging and planting, Girl Scout encampment, ortho appointments, fishing, camp with the cousins, Netflix binges, prom dress shopping, Chipotle [and more Chipotle!], and sharing wardrobes), but it is late and your 6,210th day is nearly over! Hopefully reading this year in review brings as many smiles to your face as it did to mine writing it.  Happy, happy birthday, Greta.  You are my sunshine!

2 comments:

  1. Another excellent summary of an outstanding young lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy (Belated) Birthday! Quite an impressive young lady!

    ReplyDelete