Happy seventh birthday, Greta!
Another year has zipped by, and today we celebrate your sassy, classy, sensational self.
You
love things of beauty--anything that sparkles, shines, and has lots of
color and detail...especially jewelry and seashells and flowers.
Recently you declined an opportunity to pick a toy or book at three toy
stores when we were on vacation, wanting instead to go into a gallery
where you selected a beautiful handmade glass-layered necklace. You have
very good taste!
You also love things that are delicate: a
robin's eggshell, a dandelion puff, harmless insects, babies of any
kind. Your instinct is to nurture and protect, and your sense of wonder
makes me take time to appreciate the beauty around me. Your eyes in
nature astound me, and I feel so blessed to have you share your
observations with me.
You are a selfless child, offering your
brother half a dessert, your "book privilege," first turns. You rush to
his aide if you perceive any injustice. You recently donated eight
inches of your lovely locks for Pantene's Beautiful Lengths campaign,
and said you want it to grow fast to do it again. (When you see
others with long hair you comment that they should donate, too.)
With
a beautiful "bob" you suddenly grew up this year. Not only did you look
much older, you acted it, too. You insist on brushing and styling your
hair yourself, and protest if we try to assist. And with your long
legs, most people think you're already 8! You think deep thoughts,
ask hard questions, and are beginning to master the art of dramatic
sighs. "Girls Rule" is your mantra, and you're a force to be reckoned
with. Heaven help us when you're a teenager! As much as I admire and
encourage your independence, you also like to test limits. You are
old enough to know better, but young enough to still try and get away
with things.
Countless boys have had crushes on you
this year, but you still say that Duncan is who you will marry. You also
say you don't want to grow up, will never move away, and won't have
babies. The next day it's, "I'll be a mom someday," or "I might be a teacher... or
a dancer... or an orthodontist." I don't know what you will choose, but
am eager to see where your interests take you.
You've had a great
year at school, and your teachers, Mrs. Dorton and Ms. Reilly, have
loved having you in class. You are inquisitive, respectful, and a very
hard worker. You love to read, and lately are fascinated with poetry.
Your art is incredible--again, an eye for details that just makes me
shake my head and smile. I love catching you in an "aha!" moment
learning equations or fractions or logic problems. I am so happy that
you genuinely like school.
You are a very responsible kid,
reminding me of key turns, picking up your room, and looking out for
your brother. You've been making the case for adopting a kitten, and I
think we're starting to sway Daddy! I have no doubt that you are ready
for that responsibility. We just need to work on the logistics.
Your father
and I look at you in awe. You are growing into such a beautiful,
compassionate, smart young lady. I still catch a glimpse of my
princess-ballerina-dreamer, but now when I look at you I more often see a
determined, focused and motivated girl who is figuring out what life is
all about. It's a privilege to be your mom and share this journey with
you, chickadee, dee, dee. I love you so much!
Happy Birthday Greta!
ReplyDeleteWell written post, Carey.
Happy Birthday, Greta! We hope your birthday was as special as you!
ReplyDeleteLove- Karin, Mark, Kate and Lauren