Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Happy birthday, little one!

Happy Birthday, Greta! You are now a fabulous, fantastic four-year-old!

Over the last year, you have grown up so much! You are incredibly independent, with "I can do it all by myself" the frequent phrase that ends your speech. Most of the time, you are correct (or only "a little bit wrong"). You are also a great helper around the house, especially where your little brother is concerned. Not only are you a super playmate with him, but you are also quick to call me when he is about to make a bad choice (such as scaling the furniture while he chases the cat or trying to open the front door!). You make Lincoln giggle and dance, and don't mind sharing your toys and tutus with him. In addition, you are largely responsible for his fantastic vocabulary (which you often translate for us). He is so lucky to have you as his big sister!

You are proving to be a good "student" and have thrived in preschool this past year. I hope you always enjoy school and that your inquisitive nature continues to flourish. Daddy and I are very proud of you!

You are a kind, caring, and compassionate little girl. As soon as you hear a friend or classmate cry, you rush to console them. You bring smiles to the faces of weary cashiers, postal workers, librarians, and store clerks with your excellent manners and sweet demeanor. They happily accept the kisses you blow as you wave thank you and goodbye. (Yes, Daddy and I know we need to start the whole "stranger danger" conversation with you, but that is the subject of another blog post.)

You have a temper, but it usually only rears its ugly head when you are very tired. You seem to understand when you need a time out, and you are thrilled that your brother gets time-outs now, too! There are times when you will tell me that you just want to be alone in your room. At those times, I swear I get a glimpse of your future fourteen-year-old self.

Even though you enjoy the outdoors and love to climb and run, you really are a girly-girl. While you have expanded your wardrobe and will wear "any color of the rainbow," you still love pink the best, closely followed by purple. You love to dress yourself, cook, dress up, play princess or fairy, dance, have tea parties, and paint your nails. Curling up with a good book is one of your favorite things to do, and you just finished your first chapter book with Grandma Vickie. You love flowers and gardening, and have beamed with pride each time a crocus, tulip, daffodil, or narcissus (which we planted last fall) has blossomed this spring.

You just started whistling and are so proud of yourself. You worked so hard to accomplish that feat. You also pump your legs on the big kid swing and have mastered not only the corkscrew on the playground but also the monkey bars! Lately you love to jump from various heights and try very hard to stick your landings. Perhaps there are some athletic genes in you after all!

All in all, it is a real pleasure to be your mom. You are old enough to have actual conversations (or arguments!) with me, but little enough to still curl up in my lap for cuddles and kisses. What is better than that?! I adore you, my princess, my peanut, my little one, my baby. Happy birthday to you!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful sentiments, love. I love Greta and I love that you are her mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I hope Greta gets to read that someday when she can appreciate it! (Blogging technology won't become obsolete someday, will it? Never!)

    Happy birthday to Greta!

    ReplyDelete