I know many of you come here looking for photos of the kids, but bear with me one last time as I recap my eighth and final digital photography class. My cousin
Ryan likes these posts, at least. Today's lesson,
teased last week, was to take shots of stuff with interesting forms and lines. It was the artsiest assignment, by far, and it stumped a lot of people who just don't have that artistic gene. I think I have it, a little (thanks Dad!), but I didn't find much time to shoot this weekend. Still, teach liked this one:

Yes, that's a naughty word etched into the lock in the foreground. I've walked by these locks a hundred times and finally heard their story from the father of an eighth grader in the class. They're all on a chain link fence that lines a river walkway between the South Orange Middle School and the town's recreation center. Turns out it's a tradition to leave a lock behind when you graduate to high school. I shot a series and was also praised for this one:

Yes, the image is rotated. I didn't actually climb like Spiderman on the chain link.
Last one -- thanks for bearing with me -- shot under a park bench from my belly:
Very nice. The artistry is the one aspect I don't feel I have. Probably because I think linear all day. :)
ReplyDeleteDid you find the class worthwhile?
Please continue to share your photos. I'm sure I'm not the only one that likes them.
Did your class discuss shooting indoors? Carah had a preschool function yesterday. I can't get a good picture unless I had a tripod and all the kids stood still or I use the harsh flash.
Anyway, good job on the pictures. You've inspired me to maybe search out a similar class here.
I did enjoy it. Of course, I thought of a lot of ways to make it better, but I learned something each assignment and at least know how most of the settings on the camera work.
ReplyDeleteAre you changing the white balance for indoor lighting? Hit the AWB button and scroll over to tungsten. If you have enough overheard (or even better, window) light, you shouldn't need flash inside. Remember to change it back when done. Our cameras do not reset when turned off.
If your indoor shots are too dark without flash, raise the ISO or the f-stop or slow the shutter speed to let in more light on the lens.
Have you tried lowering the shutter speed and hand holding within a dark light situation (with moving children)?
ReplyDeleteIf not, let me know how that works for you. :)
Isn't that why God created tripods and you bought one?
ReplyDelete