So on to Greta. We read Too Many Toys and Where Do You Sleep, Little One? then swap butterfly kisses. (She's getting very good at them... tickled my nose and ear last night).
7:49 p.m. and I'm downstairs wondering what's on TiVo. At about 8, Lincoln stands bolt upright in his crib and says, "Daddy?" Just one word, but what I hear is: "Did Daddy just try to tuck me in? Where the hell's Mommy?" I run upstairs, much faster than safe, and scoop him out of the crib. "Book," he says. So we read Good Night, Washington, D.C., a horrible riff on Goodnight Moon. But he likes to ID the animals on the first page as the National Zoo wakes up. Repeat the lay down and tuck him in. Fast forward to 8:15, dinner finally warming in the microwave. Cries this time of "Daddy? Daddy? Daddy!" Just like that -- inquiring at first, then plaintive. I pick him up, pat him on the back and tell him all the people who love him, led by yours truly and ending with the neighbor's dog. That does the trick and he goes down for the rest of the night.
Not as seamless as Carey's bedtime routine, but as my 67-year-old father always reminds me, "It's nice to be needed." (Happy Birthday, by the way, Dad!)
No comments:
Post a Comment