Thursday, June 7, 2007

Flying!

Readers with kids won't find this all that profound, but here it is anyway: Parenting requires equal parts patience and imagination. The emphasis was on the latter in the Merrill household last night. I got home around 645 and Greta was just starting her dinner. She plowed through a plate of meatballs, corn and grapes and then was ready to play. But play what? All the old toys suddenly seemed, well, old. So I fell back on a less-than-imaginative option: Elmo. But even the furry red guy didn't excite her. So little, in fact, that she pretended to fall asleep on the couch. I seized the opportunity to cover her with pillows and sing, "Where, oh where, oh where is Greta?"Voila! She loved it! Wanted to play "pillows" from every position on the couch and with all eight of our couch pillows. I milked it for 15 minutes, easy, covering her up, then tickling her through the holes and uncovering her with exclamations of "peek-a-boo!"

Loved it so much that she didn't want to stop for her bath. Couldn't even get her to go upstairs. Until I noticed the laundry basket and asked her if she wanted to go flying. I swear I saw her eyebrows arch and moments later she was sitting in the basket, gripping the side rails, while I intoned in my best flight attendant voice that she should identify the emergency exits at the side and rear of the plane and make sure her tray table was in the upright and locked position. We soared up the stairs and into every room, banking high on the turns before landing gently on my dresser.

I asked Greta if it was the highest she'd ever been and she answered with a giggle -- "Yeah!" She was level with the water colors and could see herself in Carey's mirror on the other side of the room. Her smile was all I needed to end my day.

3 comments:

  1. Riley and Matthew liked to ride in the laundry basket. I would carry them from our room to the laundry room when it was time to wash the clothes. They're too big for me to do that now though.

    As an aside, I hope you rethink the color scheme. I find it a little more difficult to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does the blue text make it easier? What I want to change is the grey on the right and left, but I think that requires a template change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd recommend "Rounders 3" for a navy background instead of light gray. You'll then have to change the colors of all the page elements back to what you have now, but I think the navy will help it pop out more, and maybe answer Ryan's concern about being difficult to read. My $.02.

    ReplyDelete