Well, add to it Easter 2007, when she spent much of the weekend sitting on the toilet with her diaper on, then pretending to wipe herself, then flushing, then washing her hands. She may have peed a few of those times, we're not sure. But we are sure that we arrived home this afternoon and while we were unpacking, Greta went into the bathroom and sat on her potty training seat. I asked if she wanted her diaper removed and she said, "otay." So we sat there for awhile silently, with Greta dabbing herself down there periodically with toilet paper. After a minute or so, I asked her if she was "all done," assuming this was nothing but another dry practice run. I hadn't heard any liquid splash into the bowl, after all. So she stands up, naked, on our very white bath mat. Makes a couple more cursory wipes from front to back, and then starts to take a step out the door. At that point a 4" turd drops from her bottom and lands on the very white bath mat. She's straddling it with her size 4 feet and the first thing I do is say, "don't move!" She obeys and I pick up the turd and drop it in the toilet. By now Carey has heard me exclaim something to the effect of, "oh my god, she pooped!" and has come running in to see for herself. My wife, not as concerned as I am about the skid marks on the bath mat, gives Greta a high-five and says, "all right!" The turd is flushed, the hands are washed, the bath mat is washed, and all's well. Multiply that experience by all the bowel movements for the rest of her life and you can maybe understand our joy.
Monday, April 9, 2007
First friends
Obviously Greta enjoys reaching milestones in the company of Aaron & Amy. Who can forget Easter 2006, when she toddled her first unsupported steps? And Oct. 2006, when she bit into a whole apple fresh off the tree for the first time?
Well, add to it Easter 2007, when she spent much of the weekend sitting on the toilet with her diaper on, then pretending to wipe herself, then flushing, then washing her hands. She may have peed a few of those times, we're not sure. But we are sure that we arrived home this afternoon and while we were unpacking, Greta went into the bathroom and sat on her potty training seat. I asked if she wanted her diaper removed and she said, "otay." So we sat there for awhile silently, with Greta dabbing herself down there periodically with toilet paper. After a minute or so, I asked her if she was "all done," assuming this was nothing but another dry practice run. I hadn't heard any liquid splash into the bowl, after all. So she stands up, naked, on our very white bath mat. Makes a couple more cursory wipes from front to back, and then starts to take a step out the door. At that point a 4" turd drops from her bottom and lands on the very white bath mat. She's straddling it with her size 4 feet and the first thing I do is say, "don't move!" She obeys and I pick up the turd and drop it in the toilet. By now Carey has heard me exclaim something to the effect of, "oh my god, she pooped!" and has come running in to see for herself. My wife, not as concerned as I am about the skid marks on the bath mat, gives Greta a high-five and says, "all right!" The turd is flushed, the hands are washed, the bath mat is washed, and all's well. Multiply that experience by all the bowel movements for the rest of her life and you can maybe understand our joy.
Story out of the way, a nice Easter portrait of the girl who can now poop on a plastic toilet.
Well, add to it Easter 2007, when she spent much of the weekend sitting on the toilet with her diaper on, then pretending to wipe herself, then flushing, then washing her hands. She may have peed a few of those times, we're not sure. But we are sure that we arrived home this afternoon and while we were unpacking, Greta went into the bathroom and sat on her potty training seat. I asked if she wanted her diaper removed and she said, "otay." So we sat there for awhile silently, with Greta dabbing herself down there periodically with toilet paper. After a minute or so, I asked her if she was "all done," assuming this was nothing but another dry practice run. I hadn't heard any liquid splash into the bowl, after all. So she stands up, naked, on our very white bath mat. Makes a couple more cursory wipes from front to back, and then starts to take a step out the door. At that point a 4" turd drops from her bottom and lands on the very white bath mat. She's straddling it with her size 4 feet and the first thing I do is say, "don't move!" She obeys and I pick up the turd and drop it in the toilet. By now Carey has heard me exclaim something to the effect of, "oh my god, she pooped!" and has come running in to see for herself. My wife, not as concerned as I am about the skid marks on the bath mat, gives Greta a high-five and says, "all right!" The turd is flushed, the hands are washed, the bath mat is washed, and all's well. Multiply that experience by all the bowel movements for the rest of her life and you can maybe understand our joy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I LOVE the turd story. Laughed until I cried.
ReplyDeleteOnly parents can understand how poop becomes such a huge part of life after the offspring arrive.