Tuesday, September 2, 2025

AU!!! (from another point of view)

Who let this man run the blog??! Anyways I’m currently on to my 3rd week at college (second real week of classes) and things are going swell. I made a big group of friends during my first week, which has dwindled down to around 8 guys, and a few girls who stop by. I’ve got to enjoy the campus (loving the food so far) and abused the Metro U-Pass to get in and out of the real city. The first Friday night, a group of my friends joined up with some other people and we all made it to the National Mall to enjoy some night monumenting (photos below). The U-Pass has also let us go bowling, shopping in Georgetown, and more recently, flea marketing. I just bought some jorts and a cool looking Batman ring. 

Other ways I’ve spent my time have included some group video games, runs, walks, and card games. Currently running rampant in my friend group is Magic the Gathering. Pretty much on par with Pokémon, MTG is a turn-based card game with all sorts of mystical creatures. The deck that I currently use is all about dinosaurs, but my friends have some based upon the undead, knights, Final Fantasy, and even Fallout (another video game). I’ve been having tons of fun playing this in the 6th floor “sky lounge” of my dorm. 

Classes themselves have been solid. My workload isn’t too much, and I’ve had plenty of time to finish homework before class. Luckily, I have no 8 a.m. classes, meaning I get to enjoy sleeping in for the time being. It seems like my hardest class is going to be German 332. It looks like I will be writing an essay almost every week and having a quiz to boot each Tuesday. 

As for clubs, I’ve only gotten a bit involved. Itai (my roommate) and I enjoyed some Ultimate Frisbee practice last Friday. Sadly, I did arrive late, because the practice started at 4pm but my class ended at 5:20. I met a few cool guys and enjoyed running some fast-paced 6v6 matches. A whole group of people did make it to a frat party this Saturday night, which was also a lot of fun (I’ll let the grandparents imagine the details for that one). I still don’t plan on rushing sophomore year, but hey, Greta did, so who knows. 

Enjoy these photos from the past few weeks. They go from more recent to further back.

Us before we went to Sigma Alpha Mu

Hudson and Itai at the White House

Magic the Gathering (top 10 activities of all time probably)

Night monumenting (photo courtesy of a National Guard member)

Chinatown splurge (Hudson and I couldn't convince others to try jellyfish)

Impromptu baking party in the Letts Hall South lounge

"Jazz at the Katzen" - band was called Dupont Brass

A bit of a stylish group

This was called Night at the Rec. We got to meet some club sports team, and even saw our mascot Clawed Z. Eagle

2 comments:

  1. a Lincoln post?!? i didn't know that could happen

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a prerequisite for the check we write each semester. :-)

    ReplyDelete