I'm home safely after a lovely weekend in D.C. with our two college students. Flew in Saturday afternoon and they met me at the hotel near Chinatown before we made our way to the Mt. Vernon neighborhood to pick up our race bibs and t-shirts. Dinner Saturday night was at a Thai place called Baan Siam near the hotel. We had to be in the starting corral at 6:45, so they crashed with me at the hotel and we uber-ed down to the start in West Potomac Park bright and early on Sunday.
As for the race... Greta ran strong in her inaugural half, finishing in 2:12:08 at about a 10-minute mile pace. She placed 927th among females between the ages of 20-29. Did I mention that just under 10,000 people ran this one? It was a LOT of people. Never felt like you were alone on the course and it was laid out in such a way that there were lots of spectators lining the roads and cheering. Lincoln ran a little stronger, but his knee acted up again forcing him to walk a bit and he crossed the line just a few minutes ahead of his sister in 2:09:28. He placed 27th in his division, which was young men age 15-19. I was the laggard at 2:14:50, ranking 103rd among men age 50-59. I didn't feel strong all day and while Greta tried her hardest to coax a little more speed out of me, I told her to take off at about mile 9 and she did! Wished we could have crossed the line all together, but I'm so very proud and touched that they both took on this challenge with me.
 |
| This was pre-race, so in hindsight Lincoln should be on the top step! |
 |
| This was post-race on our very long walk to breakfast in Foggy Bottom. Everyone got a souvenir towel. |
 |
| Also post-race. It was near 80 degrees just after 9 a.m. |
P
 |
| Pre-race, before the pain. |
 |
| In the hotel elevator at 6:10 a.m. |
Congrats to all! Where's the next 13.1 going to be?
ReplyDeleteNot sure! Kids and I talked that it might be cool to pick a different city each year, though that sounds kind of expensive. I'm taking at least until the Spring off -- there's a local one here in April a couple work friends and I will probably run again.
ReplyDelete