Got back Wednesday, but for those of you who wonder what I do there -- two things: 1) I stage manage the live production of the convention, which means sitting to the right of the podium and making sure speakers know what we're doing next or when there are sudden changes in the program. I'm on a headset with the "back of house" tech team, who control what music is played, when the lights are cued, what is shown on the large monitors that flank the stage. Anybody remember Lobot, who I think we first met in "Return of the Jedi?" He was like a cyborg aid to Lando, I think. Anyway, that's what I look like, albeit in a sports jacket.
![]() |
| That's me, far to the right. When the other union directors aren't on stage, I sit right next to the guy at the podium, who at this moment is our HR director, introducing the staff. |
And this is what I look like relieved that it's all over. That's our IT director, Joe, standing with me.
My other role is executive producer of the videos we shoot and produce at the conference, using a production company based here in Albany, called Akullian Creative. This year's heaviest lift was a video of nurses in our union thanking New York Gov. Kathy Hochul for a recent title restructuring she did. Basically, they conducted a study for years and eventually concluded that State nurses are underpaid compared to their private sector counterparts, so most will receive quite a salary hike -- some up to $30-40,000. A pretty big deal. And it just so happens that Gov. Hochul is nervous about Nov. 8, so we were charged with producing a video that would make her look heroic and perhaps motivate members of our union and fellow New Yorkers to check her box on Election Day. This is what we did:
PEF nurses thank Gov. Hochul for making good on her promises from NYS PEF on Vimeo.


No comments:
Post a Comment