Lincoln lit up the Ultimate Frisbee field today, and the Nisky Narwhals brought down the Bethlehem Eagles in a shocking upset, 10-9 (click link for video). It was a perfect Fall day to root from the sidelines, although my role as cheerleader soon switched to statistician/manager when Coach Lee had to focus on the new "B" team on the other field! Yes, Linc and his friends have done an awesome job recruiting, and there is now a "JV" crew. I tallied players on the "A team" field, kept score, and even made a run with the first aid kit!
I was impressed with how well the Nisky captains led in the absence of
their coach, setting stacks, deploying a strong cup defense, and moving
the disc down the field. The play was incredibly competitive and
spirited. Recalling the first match against Bethlehem last year,
which was Niskayuna's first "real" game, I can't believe how much
they've grown--not just as skilled players, but physical size! I look
forward to seeing how the team will fare at States next Spring.
I think Lincoln's favorite part of the day occurred in the second game.
This match was purely for fun, and combined players from each team for a "play-for-the-love-of-the-game" match. This was fast-paced and carefree, and so much fun to watch. The highlight happened when Lincoln intercepted a pass in his opponents end-zone, performing a rare play called a "Callahan." It is so rare, and results in a point to the catcher's team! The players went wild and cheered like crazy. Lincoln's grin was so huge I could see it across the field. Talk about team spirit!

No comments:
Post a Comment