The Merrills hosted this year, in Rodman -- just immediate family -- 10 of us total, plus two dogs. On Nov. 27 my folks celebrated 54 years of wedded bliss. We barely made mention of it over a Thanksgiving Eve repast of pasta, meatballs and sausage, but I will put in writing here that I think it's pretty impressive. At the very least it's comforting. Stabilizing. Makes me feel like I've accomplished nothing at just 20 years.
Thursday dawned cold and misty, but after 1.5 football games, a few hours of D&D and about 15 dog walks we finally ate around 5pm. The bird was the star of a simple menu -- mashed potatoes, stuffing, sauteed green beans with almond slivers and honey-roasted squash. I saw Lincoln actually refill his plate! Pecan, pumpkin and apple crumb pies for dessert.
 |
| Greta actually wanted to dress the bird. Odd. |
 |
| After every walk, Yeager needed a nap. |
 |
| The kids commandeered the upstairs to continue their epic D&D game. Even Esme enjoyed it, in small bursts. |
 |
| Sara likes this picture of her youngest. |
 |
| Peter carved the bird. |
 |
| Carey's really getting into knitting. This is her first 3'x3' lap blanket for senior citizens at her church. Next up -- a bigger blanket for us! |
 |
| Testing camera settings before the family portrait. |
 |
| This Scotch is either 6 months old or 70 years. I'm not sure they ever decided. |
No comments:
Post a Comment