Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Kira Elsa Bailey

Carey and I were honored to participate in Kira's christening Sunday in New York. It was held at the Church of Sweden, a fairly non-descript place on 48th St., off Fifth Ave. Inside it's more community center than chapel, but they have a small space with half a dozen wooden pews, lots of white candles, crystal crosses, metallic jugs and blue and yellow flags. It's where Damond and Anneli were married, so a special place for the family. I was doubly honored to address the gathering. Readers who have tapped me to address their weddings and funerals over the years will be happy to know I made the parents cry and a few stoic Swedes in the audience as well.

The reception was held at Anneli's colleague's apartment on 83rd St. and Amsterdam. Lovely double-wide in the sky, 21 floors up looking down on the west side. Salmon and prosciutto on 1"x1" bread squares, cheeses, and fruit.

Of course, somehow we had two professional photographers in the audience and an amateur (me) on the altar, and all we brought were our iPhones.

















No comments:

Post a Comment