Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Happy 2nd Birthday, Linc!

Happy Birthday Lincoln David! What a great day, for a most joyful little boy. Yes, your baby days are definitely behind you. You are a running, jumping, climbing, talking, singing, dancing, laughing bundle of energy. Your smile melts my heart each day (and often gets you out of trouble!). And you give the sweetest hugs and kisses.

You are small, but you are mighty. Your pediatrician can't believe you are in the 3rd percentile for weight, because you have the cutest cheeks and chubby knees. You look like you should weigh more than 23 pounds! She's not too concerned yet...but has prescribed eating whatever you want whenever you want. You love peanut butter, bread of any kind, bananas, and yogurt. You don't care for meat, except for meatballs and teriyaki chicken. (Seriously, what other 2-year-old dislikes hot dogs?) You adore ice cream, particularly sandwiches, and can hear the Good Humor truck from three blocks away.

You seem to have no fear. Anything Greta can do, you think you can too. Honestly, if you make it though the coming year without a cast, I will be amazed. You scale ladders at the playground, love to climb rock walls, and are working very hard at jumping off rocks. And you are FAST! People can't believe how quickly you run, and I have grown many a gray hair from your spontaneous sprints.

You are curious, which makes you dangerous. Our home in New Jersey sports locks on the toilets, anti-tipping straps on dressers, door-closing guards, an oven latch, a dishwasher strap, and a gate at the top of the stairs. We had none of these things when Greta was your age!

At least you seem to understand the need for caution when taking a risk. When I catch you in the act, you'll state "Carefully!" as if that will make my concern lessen. You also echo, "Safety first!" when getting buckled into the car seat, stroller, or bike.

You are a crazy talker. "Mom, I dropped my wishbone stick!" "Thank you ice cream man!" "Lincoln go bike ride, Daddy!" It is so much fun to eavesdrop on your conversations with Greta (although I think she isn't as impressed that you can "talk back" at her and offer an idea or opinion when you're playing!).
You transitioned to your "big boy bed" without a hitch, and continue to be an excellent sleeper/napper. I only wish you slept past 6am! You are terribly attached to your silky blankets, though you haven't picked "the one" yet.

You rejoice when spotting a bug, bird, bunny, or dog. You can spend endless minutes following an ant through the grass.

So today marks the day that the terrible twos are supposed to start. I must admit I've seen a glimmer of them over the last couple of months: falling to the floor in a dramatic heap, moaning "NOOOOOO!", stomping your feet in protest when I've refused your request for a snack or a toy. But I really think the "2's" with you are going to be terrific. You are a lot of fun, and I love being your mom!

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, son. No title means more to me than Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Lincoln! We hope it's great!

    Love-
    Karin, Mark, Kate and Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's two already? Wow! I remember the blog posts from the hospital. Two years? Really?

    Happy Birthday Lincoln!

    Love,
    The Gilmores

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LINCOLN!! You are one amazing little guy. Can't wait to see you again.
    Love,
    Aunt Kathy

    ReplyDelete