Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Rise and whine

Rob previously lamented Greta's preference for yours truly. Despite our efforts, she insists on being mama's girl first and last each day, as well as the rare occasion in the middle of the night if she awakens to go potty, loses a stuffed animal, or realizes she has become "untucked." Although endearing, it is also a bit annoying when her request for my attention is delivered in a high-pitched nasal sing-song fashion.

Such was the case yesterday morning. Exasperated when her demand for my presence also woke up her brother, who was then crying, I snapped at her, "Greta, please stop whining! I am right here. You just need to wait." She looked at me, appeared surprised, and replied, "Mom, I'm not whining. This is my voice. Usually people's voices sound different. Mine doesn't sound like yours. It's mine." Huh? "Usually"?!?! How old are you?! Once I shook off the shock from her response I couldn't help but smile. What a kid!

1 comment: