Mommies, too, but mostly Daddies. All involve some form of Daddy lying in a prone position while the children (usually just Greta) scurry about trying to accomplish something. The preferred place of play is the living room couch on Sunday afternoon with a competitive NFL game to watch. It started with Nest about a year ago and has grown into several variations, all with names that would make Hemingway proud: Mommy and Baby, Daddy Kitty and Baby Kitty, Sick Daddy, Daddy Mountain, Daddy Island.
The former is the fave du jour, with Greta playing Mommy and Daddy playing Baby. I am told to "go to bed, baby, because Mommy (Greta) has to take care of big sister." Greta leaves the room, then calls out, "OK, you can call for me now!" So I say: "Mommy, I can't sleep!" or "Mommy, I have to go potty!" or anything, really, that requires Greta to come running. When she shows up, it's like a plot from one of those Choose Your Own Adventure books my cousins and I were so fond of growing up. I might say: "Mommy, I feel sick," or "Mommy, I'm thirsty." Greta then responds with the remedy. She'll pretend to take my temperature, for example, or offer me a fake glass of water. But she's a no-nonsense Mommy, who has obviously been listening to her role model. Last night I told her that "I just couldn't sleep." Her reply? "You have to, baby. It's night-night time and I am NOT getting out of bed again!"
No comments:
Post a Comment