Friday, December 14, 2007

A picture that's worth 211 words

Carey took this photo Friday when I was at work. I came home and saw it and thought, "How nice, Greta is doing her ballet dance for her brother." I imagined her finishing the dance, thrusting her arms into something close to what the Russians call the third position, and exclaiming, "Ta-Da!"

But I'm told I wasn't observant enough. Oh no, this picture means WAY more than that. See the furry little monkey on Lincoln's lap, near his right thigh above the cube? That's no ordinary primate. That's a pygmy marmoset, one of the most revered simians in the "Go, Diego, Go!" universe. He also just happens to be Greta's favorite toy for about 6 weeks running. She carries him everywhere, talks to him, attaches him to all sorts of things (his hands have tiny, choking-hazard magnets in them). My favorite -- an empty roll of masking tape with about two feet of gummy tape that serves as a rope and the cardboard circle still intact. That's a life vest for the marmoset, who is constantly in trouble and needing Diego, nee Greta, to save him.

So now when I look at it, this picture means our darling 2 1/2-year old loves her baby brother enough to share a prized possession.

No comments:

Post a Comment