Things I learned on my 3-day, 130-mile bike ride from home to the South Lake access road:
- If Google Maps describes a section of route as “very steep,” believe it. But when it comes to specific rural roads, Google Maps is sometimes no better than AI in terms of hallucinations. I was directed to at least 3 roads that simply didn't exist.
- Chamois cream is a long distance bike rider’s best friend. (I need to buy some.)
- It is difficult to eat a keto diet at America’s gas stations.
- RV campground culture is alive and well (night one was spent at Royal Mountain Campground in Johnstown, N.Y.).
- The Erie Canal is as flat and straight as they could engineer it - Sal the Mule was probably bored a good bit of the time.
- The waitress at Brittany’s Diner in Johnstown is lonely and compensates by over-sharing.
- The chicken riggie wrap with escarole, Parmesan and croutons at Babe’s in Utica needs a marinara sauce or some other condiment to moisten it.
- The bicycle is the greatest invention ever made.
 |
| Bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at the start. |
 |
| Erie Canal Lock 10. They all look almost exactly like this. |
 |
| No sign of Sadie. I think she probably parlayed her fame into better opportunities elsewhere. |
 |
| The best tasting Slim Jim I've ever eaten. |
 |
| Bikes do not require gasoline. |
 |
| At the first night's cabin. Carey drove over after work, about an hour by car, to have dinner and stargaze. |
 |
| Departing on Day 2. |
 |
| We grow way too much corn in this country. Stop eating cows. |
 |
| The best meal of the trip -- lunch at Canal Cafe in Little Falls, N.Y. That's a "Rachel" wrap with turkey and slaw and T.I. dressing. |
 |
| The wrap from Babe's, which is like a local Hooter's, but skimpy shorts instead of tight tops. I went there for the Yankees game, of course. |
 |
| Almost fell, but worth it. |
Well done! Looks like fun.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on the accomplishment and thanks for sharing your lessons learned.
ReplyDelete