Friday, August 28, 2026

Back to AU!!!

Hello again, it's the youngest poster on the blog. This post is coming at the request of dad who wants a bit of an update about my past few weeks being back. Basically all of my time was spent on campus. The only time I've even been on the red line this week was during an orientation leader shift where Ashley (another OL) and I led a group of around 80 students to the National Zoo. I picked the zoo because of the new baby elephant named Linh Mai. She was prancing around outside when I saw her, and she's gotten a lot bigger than the photographs posted earlier this year. 

Essentially, the past two weeks have all been surrounded by work. I've gotten about 82 hours, with the first Monday-Friday being a 9-5 training, and this Tuesday-Friday being the actual first-year orientation (I also had a 5 hour long training this Monday but that is for my Program Leader/TA gig). I had a group of 29 student; however, with half of them being D1 athletes, and more being commuters, often times it was only a group of 10-15. I paraded them around AU to get them to informative sessions like "Safety and Security at AU" where they learned all about the safety resources we have on campus in an interactive presentation by AU's Captain Sifri. She's awesome, btw. Besides that they also enjoyed the excursions into D.C., choose your own adventure presentations, and free lunch at TDR or sometimes on the quad. 

The main benefit of this was the early move-in. I moved in on the 15th which was a whole 10 days earlier than Hudson. Thankfully he's here now sitting in bed watching something on his laptop as I type this. I also made a ton of new friends through the OL training. Maybe we bonded over the repetitive 8 hour days, or just liked to complain about our students to one another. Either way I got to enjoy a game of beach volleyball with some new people after a training shift. The weeks with no school have also been nice, with a lot of my day outside of work consisting of lazing about on the couch in my dorm, or playing a game of "HORSE" on an over-the-door hoop with my suitemate Nick. Overall college is all right so far. I'm stoked to start TAing the course, and I can't wait to get back into the groove of things. Here are some photos of the past couple days.



Here's my new wall decoration


He's ready for the job


Beautiful view out the dorm window. I feel like a Disney princess singing to the deer.


Check out the first night's meal


Here's me and the rest of the Harpy OLs


Probably 20% of this job was holding doors for freshmen. 

3 comments: