Thursday, August 6, 2026

Loaded (for bear, might I see one?)

The panniers are actually not yet full, but they will be next week and I'm getting excited! I'll be crossing something off my bucket list and riding my bike from home to the South Lake access road. It's about 150 miles so I'm breaking it into three days. Niskayuna to Little Falls or Canajoharie on Monday, then to Rome on Tuesday, then to Forestport on Wednesday, where Greta and her college friends meet me for ice cream and to drive me the final 20 or so miles from Forestport to camp. They are spending 3 days together there next week before returning to college the following weekend.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit I used chatGPT to plan the trip and while I at first found it exhilarating, it got tedious toward the end when it would try to fine tune things by telling me it could do X, Y or Z and then if I asked for X, Y, or Z it would tell me it could only do that if I had a OpenMaps subscription, etc. But I don't expect navigation to be a problem. It follows the Erie Canalway trail for two-thirds of the route before the Adirondack foothills start in Rome. I'm certain my cardio and legs are in good shape, but I'm a little nervous about my knee, which has been balky after some recent training runs. Greta says I should buy a GoPro and document it all, but that sounds like work. A post or two via cell phone is probably the best you can expect. I'm not lugging a laptop.

No comments:

Post a Comment