Thursday, August 21, 2025
Runna
That's the app Greta and I are using to train for the DC Half on Sept. 14. It's a totally different training rubric than I used for my other three 13.1 mile runs, which involved printing out a calendar with distances marked for each day and you crossed them off as you ran them. In Runna, you put in your basic biometrics and your PRs and then it spits out a customized plan with things like "Intervals" and "Tempo Runs" and my favorite, something called "Fartleks," which apparently was a famous runner's name who liked to vary his speed. Anyway, I've had a love-hate relationship with the app all summer. Have had plenty of 90+ degree days where it's just not possible for this 53-year-old body to do what the app wants me to do. But then I've had days like yesterday, when it was just 63 degrees with a slight drizzle and I nearly did everything Runna wanted -- 1.5 miles at a conversational pace (slow enough to carry on a conversation, which for me is about 9:30-10:00), then 2 miles at an 8:20 pace, then 120 seconds walking rest, followed by a mile at 8:05 and a conversational mile cool down. The Jay-Z Essentials Playlist on Apple Music was all I needed and I felt great about myself the rest of the night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment