I don't know how often we saw our cousins growing up, but in the haze of my memory, it feels like a LOT. I can plainly recall spending a couple weeks every summer from grade school through high school in Endicott, then hosting Ryan and Karin for a couple weeks in Rodman. Specifically, I remember Aunt Judy teaching me how to run the vacuum, and instilling in me a lifelong appreciation for clean bathrooms. It was probably a competition between Mom and Aunt Judy as to who could best employ the kids to do various odd housecleaning jobs! And I distinctly remember summer trips to Hudson Falls and the Steeles' big fenced yard and pool and basketball court with a real three-point line. But all that ended in the late 80's when the oldest cousins went away to college. Now here we are more than three decades later, with all of them living in North Carolina and my folks endeavoring to spend some time with Carol and Jim each winter. A perfect excuse for Sara and me to get in on the fun, driving them down to N.C. and spending a couple days seeing everybody. To borrow a line from Ryan and Kim's wedding -- it was great to be in a room with six people with whom I once bathed.









No comments:
Post a Comment