Friday, March 5, 2021

Old Bones

Good Shoulder

Bad Shoulder
The medical hits just keep on coming for your beloved blog author. Was reaching under a tarp to grab wood from our pile to restock the fireplace when my left shoulder slipped out of its socket this morning. Hadn’t happened since 1998, I think, when I was living in Washington, DC, and my pal Dudley took me to the Georgetown ER where we waited for an hour and just before George Clooney dropped by, it slipped back into place with a “pop.” I recall that visit because it took Georgetown TWO YEARS to bill my then SAG-AFTRA insurance from NBC News. I got a collections letter before I got a bill! Probably had something to do with Dudley’s poor mail habits. There were always 100-200 envelopes of assorted sizes in his entryway all over the floor.


Fast forward two decades and we just did the same thing at OrthoNY in Schenectady. Got here at 1045, got a couple x-rays, got help removing my shirt, and then waited 30 mins for a doctor to make the rounds and it slipped in before he showed up. On the plus side, I look much better with my shirt off and I wasn’t that embarrassed to tell the nurse I was 5’10”, 200 lbs. Plus, the x-rays look bad ass.

2 comments:

  1. It's debilitating more than painful. Sore after it pops back in. Used to happen often in my youth, especially if I let my left arm go over my head and behind me, like grabbing a rebound in basketball. But ortho doc said the xrays looked strong, no sign of wear that requires surgical repair at this time. So I take it easy on that arm for a few weeks and let the strain heal.

    ReplyDelete