I'll say this about global pandemics: They're an excellent excuse to spend more time in remote places. And we're very lucky to have the deed to one of them. South Lake is only about 30 minutes out of cell phone range, but every visit that 30 minutes feels like hopping in a time machine. Suddenly we play old-timey card games like Spades (even Poker this trip!), we sit around for hours answering questions on cards meant to stimulate conversation (Q: Which celebrity are you embarrassed to find attractive? Carey: Lyle Lovett), and we read (I finished The Hunger Games prequel "The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes" and started a breezy thriller "The Woman in Cabin 10"). We're blessed to also have a television and DVD player, so I should point out that we watched "The Princess Bride" and "Moulin Rouge" this visit. Joining the family was cousin Esme, who wanted any excuse to get out of Rye. We figure she's been pretty isolated and even tested negative three weeks ago before their family trip to Maine, so off went the masks, except when neighbors stopped by to say hello. Other items of note this trip: Linc and I made it about 3/5ths of the way to the dam by mountain bike, traveling a quarter mile or so past the Cox camp on the fairly overgrown snowmobile trail. We hope to cross that off the summer to-do list by the end of August. The kids spent lots of time in the water and Yeager enjoyed multiple daily walks and lots of time lounging in the sun. He finally met the Barnes' new yellow labs, Woodstock and Pork Chop, and I'm pleased to report that they all got along. I didn't have the big camera out much and only flew the drone once because of wind, but here's the best of what I got, plus quite a few phone photos from various members of the family. As Lincoln put it when we were packing up on Tuesday: "This was a really good trip. We did everything I wanted to do."






















No comments:
Post a Comment