Dad and I met up at camp on Thursday afternoon. The mission was to top off the solar batteries with distilled water for the winter, but I think Dad had an ulterior motive. He and his father used to spend quality time there in the winter when everyone was healthy, sometimes joined by Charlie Woolworth. It's not hard to imagine the snowmobiling possibilities, and the whiskey drinking, when the wives weren't around! I let Dad do most of the drinking this time, which only made him pass out in the lazy boy around 8 o'clock so I could read some more John McPhee. Not before we shared a DiGiorno's frozen pizza and a viewing of "The Day After Tomorrow." (Note to self: Replenish the camp DVD selection!) It was 6 degrees inside when we arrived around 2 o'clock. A combination of the kerosene space heater, the in-wall propane heater in Grandpa Bob's room, the fireplace and even the open kitchen oven managed to increase the temp to 57 by the time we left this morning. I slept quite soundly though -- from about 10-7 -- and had to peel off layers as my body heat warmed up the blankets. All in all, a fine time -- not something I need to repeat very often, at least not in such extreme temps -- but there is a certain lovely desolation there this time of year. And it's hard to beat the company.
 |
| Ice crystals on the inside of the front door this morning. |
 |
| The swing awaits its next rider. |
 |
| From the front porch as the sun began to lighten the horizon. |
No comments:
Post a Comment