It already feels like ancient history (15 days ago!), but we wrapped up our summer vacation with the Baileys with a visit to Saratoga. I lost $15 betting on horse flesh, but gained $6 back betting on a race via the app a week later when I wasn't even at the track! So naturally I'm now trying to convince Carey to give me a small amount -- $20? $50? -- each week to bet on sports now that it's legal at the casino a few miles from home, but so far that is being met with justified resistance.
Anyway, the highlight of the visit was serendipitous -- it was Mariano Rivera day at the track! So Damond and I got to stand 20 feet from one of our baseball heroes, a guy who threw only one pitch that nobody could hit. Big Mo looked good, if a little heavier, and thanked the crowd for cheering him and the Yankees to World Series titles in 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2009. They're 9.5 games up in the American League East as I type and have the best record in baseball, so maybe this is the year they hang banner No. 28?
 |
| D listening to Mo -- see the admiration on his face? |
 |
| No, it's not worth cropping out my thumb. |
No comments:
Post a Comment