Sunday, October 7, 2018

Nation's Capital Reunion

We took advantage of the rare four-day weekend for our first legit road trip in awhile -- Niskayuna to D.C. via Syracuse. Dropped off the dog with Grandma and headed south around lunchtime on Friday. After a decent-sized traffic jam in Harrisburg, Pa., we made it to Falls Church, Va., at about 7pm. Slept in a bit on Friday and then took Aunt Kathy to Metro 29 diner in Arlington for breakfast.


After saying goodbye to AK, we drove in to DC and found a parking spot near the American History Museum. I was disappointed they put Bill Cosby's couch in storage. I mean, why not embrace history, warts and all? And I do mean warts. We did get to see the first turntable used by a Bronx hip-hop artist to scratch records, as well as Julia Childs' kitchen and a whole bunch of other Americana.

I think Catholics may soon need a new Pope. I nominate me.
Except I probably sleep more than the average Pope.
This lovely daughter is 50% of me. Unbelievable.
 Lunch was at Potbelly's -- meh -- and then to the National Portrait Gallery to genuflect before Obama's portrait. The Winthrop clan met us there and accompanied us down to the mall for a glance of the Washington Monument and some toe-dipping in the WWII Memorial pond.

A mirror ball at the Portrait Gallery, which had a lot more than portraits.
Greta's favorite president, at least the ones she's read about.

This is a Video Portrait of some dude who held his breath underwater while the camera captured him in repose.




Kay Taylor challenged Lincoln to a race and he... dusted her.
One of these does not have Lincoln as a first name.
Neon U.S.A., cool little videos playing inside each state.
I don't know, something about snails ... all in a dark room, with a viewing bench. Again, PORTRAIT gallery.

The Man, the Myth, the Legend. Carey insists no matter what angle you looked at it, Obama's eyes followed you. I reminded her this is the president who approved of the NSA program to tap all American phone conversations.
Dinner was with Dudley & Jen and family at a lovely place in Bethesda called Passion Fish. To celebrate our upcoming 19th wedding anniversary, Dudley made advance reservations and had a special menu created topped with the lovely sentiment, Happy Anniversary! Carey enjoyed her trout and I reaaaaalllly loved my pan-seared sea scallops with a side of pork belly Brussels sprouts!

Sunday we slept in, enjoyed a lovely egg dish cooked by Allison, and then Gardner and I made a pilgrimage to Audi Stadium, the new home of the DC United soccer team. Beautiful facility and the team stayed in the playoff hunt with a 2-1 victory.


The kids -- minus Jay, who was at the soccer game with another set of friends -- trekked around Great Falls Park with Carey and Allison.




Now it's Sunday night and Allison and Carey are cooking some sort of red snapper dish. Aunt Kathy came to Falls Church for dinner and the kids are done with their screen time, so it's family game night. I'm gonna kick their butt at Clue.

1 comment:

  1. Two corrections, for the record -- AK actually took US to breakfast on Saturday. Thank you again! And that's a Torah in the background of the Smithsonian picture, nothing to do with the papacy. But I still should be the Pope.

    ReplyDelete