Monday, May 28, 2018

Memorial Day

A jam-packed start to the summer for the Merrills. Saturday I had to work, day-tripping to that Nexus of All Evil, Gillette Stadium, home of the New England Patriots.

It was cool for me to step foot on the grass where Tom Brady works, but it wasn't so kind to the UAlbany Men's Lacrosse team, who got whupped by Yale in their NCAA Semifinal, 20-11. For the record, Yale went on to beat Duke for the championship today, so at least we lost to the champs. Sunday morning we drove in to South Lake, where the black flies had already set up camp and were devouring all who dared invade their territory. Can someone tell me why black flies exist? What purpose do they serve in the ecosystem, besides boosting the U.S. economy when everyone buys Off and non-toxic spray for their dogs and screened-in mesh hats that make you look like you're wearing a laundry basket on your head? Needless to say, we spent most of our time inside. I got caught up on EW and Atlantic and Time, and almost finished The High Mountains of Portugal, by the guy who wrote The Life of Pi, Yann Martel. We also watched Murder on the Orient Express (I think Mom, Carey and me liked it, but the kids were not into it), and then Dad and I stayed up past our bedtime to watch LeBron James beat Boston by himself. Monday we pushed the floating dock to the water's edge, Mom planted some porch flowers, and Dad began laying the foundation for a new storage shed. The insect horde didn't follow us on the pontoon boat, so we took a lap around the lake, which Yeager really enjoyed.

I wish I had pictures of any of it, but I left the DSLR at home and didn't have my phone on me much. Got this one of Mom, Carey and the kids posing with their 1,000-piece puzzle, featuring scenes from some famous Americana artist whose name I've already forgotten.

Oh, and I should add for posterity that Greta could not let a South Lake visit pass without jumping in the water. I didn't see anyone else on the lake do that. I think she just wanted to try out her new bathing suit before band camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment