Our kids sometimes aren't the best listeners at bedtime. You tell them to brush their teeth, they play fetch with the dog. You tell them to wash their face, they remember they have to put something in their backpack for tomorrow. Etc. etc. Saturday night, after a lovely day and a family screening of "Now You See Me 2," we told the kids to go upstairs and get ready for bed and all hell broke loose. There was shouting, name calling, even some physicality. It all started with a toothbrush. Or something. Anyway, long story just a few sentences longer, we told them we were fed up and they were both grounded. There would be no screens until lessons were learned and behavior improved.
Cut to the end of the story -- they had no screens Sunday and Monday, behaved at bedtime both nights, and woke up this morning for a snow day. I asked them to write down on a piece of paper "What I Learned While Grounded" and then told them I would evaluate whether they could have screens back. Here is what Lincoln wrote:
- I learned that I need to control my temper and that I should wait for Greta to be done in the bathroom.
- I also learned that whoever gets into the bathroom first gets to "have it" or stay in it until they are done.
And here is what his older sister wrote:
- It's nice to spend time with your family. You talk more.
- Peanut butter cookies should only bake for 6 minutes.
So which one learned a lesson?
Lincoln
ReplyDeleteYour mom and dad raised you right, Carah! Although there's something to be said for a peanut butter cookie that is chewy in the middle...
ReplyDeleteI don't know much about peanut butter
ReplyDelete