
Last Friday night my dream finally came true. The Niskayuna Girl Scouts hosted their annual Daddy-Daughter Dance. It was a Hawaiian theme, but I was forbidden from wearing a flowered shirt. Greta's only sartorial advice was, and I quote, "Daddy, please don't wear paint-splattered sweat pants and a Life is Good shirt." In the end, she approved of my sunflower-yellow golf shirt and khakis, while she chose a long summer dress. The dance was 90 minutes long and while I thought Greta would run off with her friends and I'd stand on the edge of the gym with the other dads, she chose instead to spend every song with me. The DJ played everything from "Uptown Funk" to "Twist & Shout" to eight of the 13 tracks on Taylor Swift's "1989." But he did slow things down twice and those were the best moments -- twirling around the floor, Greta just the perfect height to lean her head against my chest. We never did figure out how to twirl in a repeatable pattern, but I'm told these dances are an annual thing and I've already marked my calendar.
Alas, the dimly-lit gymnasium was the worst location in the world for photos, but I got one decent selfie and a touching video during Ed Sheeran's lovely ballad "Thinking Out Loud." We did pose for an "official photograph," but I'm still waiting on e-delivery of that.
No comments:
Post a Comment