Thursday, June 25, 2015

EIGHT!!!

Happy birthday to our energetic, excellent kid!!! Lincoln, you are such a treat to have as a son, with a phenomenal sense of humor, sensitive disposition, and willingness to still cuddle up with your mom and dad despite being so grown up now. You've had a super year, and I'm certain the next will be great!

The last year saw you becoming more independent...from teaching yourself to ride a bicycle to reading books (graphic novels, My Weird School and Captain Underpants books are your favorites). You can spend hours building with Legos, and you make very cool creations. You love to play the Wii and x-box, and are patient and instructive when I join you, even though I slow you down. You and Greta won the March Madness pool this year, and with your winnings you bought a Nintendo DS, which has made long car trips very quiet. But you always ask for permission before playing, which is thoughtful and appreciated by us.

You and Greta still play together often, although not as much as you would like, which leads to tears when she wants to be alone. When she refuses, you sometimes decide to push her buttons by snatching something from her room or sitting outside her door, singing or whistling.  Even if it is "negative" attention, you will take it! She is very forgiving, and sometimes lets you sleep on the floor of her room, and I catch you holding hands when you walk together.

I hope you are always friends and have fun together.  When you do agree on a game, it usually involves an elaborate fort or cave constructed in your bedroom/closet, with magical creatures and super powers, or a variation of Warriors or Harry Potter. She encouraged you to watch the HP movies, and you've finally agreed to do so, much to her delight.  Despite your many differences, I think you both would do nearly anything for the other.

You are often a thrill-seeker, whether it is climbing trees or going on the extreme rides at the amusement park. I admire your bravery, although your risk-taking makes my hair turn gray. But you are also shy a lot of the time, and afraid of scary things like Voldemort (but aren't we all??).  You won't open up with your big personality until you are with friends and family. I hope to see your confidence grow this year. You have a tender heart, as exhibited when Sasha and your fish, Bubbles, died this year. I am glad you are so in touch with your feelings.

This year, you've loved learning to play tennis, and despite your mid-season protest, you had a successful little league season. You pitched for the first time, and performed great. We love to watch you play. Your swimming is getting stronger, and you now jump off the high dive at the pool. I would love for you to join the swim team, but you'd rather just have fun. You gave gymnastics a whirl, but were not very inspired...I made you finish the session but promised you wouldn't have to take it again.

Speaking of growth: you are up to 50 inches! Tall enough to ride a lot of exciting rides, reach cups from the cupboard by yourself, and you no longer need a step-stool in the bathroom when you brush your teeth to see into the mirror. You also tried growing you hair long this year...you had crazy bed head each morning and loved parting it to the side with your fingers.

You make me laugh every day. Your wit is quick and very smart. Your second grade teacher, Mrs. Heumann enjoyed it very much, too, and always commented on how much she enjoyed having you in her class. In addition to being excited and ready to learn each day, you brought laughter to her classroom (and kept her on her toes!).
I love that you can find humor in most situations, and that you give the gift of laughter so freely. You've also grown up a lot, and titter when you hear adult humor, especially language. You eyes get big if you hear a curse word on TV or in a movie, and you smirk like you've been caught with your hand in the cookie jar. You have said some of the darnedest things since we told you about the upcoming move to Albany, making us all laugh. You have a healing sense of humor which is awesome.

While there has been all kinds of growth this year, one thing that didn't change this year was bedtime. It is still cuddle time with me, with a book, a song, and of course, your 5 lovey blankets...and fingers hidden in your mouth behind them (despite trying to break the habit, it hasn't happened yet. Maybe this will be the year?!).
I often dozed off next to you, cuddling close and thinking how much I love being your mom. You help me be present, and smile, and laugh...which is good for my soul. I hope you have a year filled with smiles and laughter, and that all the goodness you send out comes back to you times EIGHT!! I love you, bug!

xoxo,
~Mommy




 



































No comments:

Post a Comment