Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Would something interesting please happen?

I'm reading "Unbroken" about three years after the rest of the world did, and admire the way Louie and his fellow airmen keep a diary. They don't write much -- "trained on bomb sighting Thursday, wrote a letter home to ma" -- but they were a big help to future historians and biographers trying to tell their stories.

And so I've decided to write in this space, regardless of whether anything interesting is happening or there is a photo to describe.

It may turn some of you off and it may entirely alter what for the past eight years has largely been a digital album of Lincoln and Greta's childhood. Is that childhood waning as we head into the final months of 2014? Sometimes it feels that way. I get home at 7 and the kids are at each others' throats over something inconsequential or I get the look from Carey as I walk in the door that just says, "Don't." So I don't. I change my clothes, heat up my dinner, and look forward to 15 minutes on the couch as a family watching part of "Chopped" or "American Ninja Warrior." Then it's 8 and time to argue over how long to brush teeth or whether anyone is possibly tired. Carey makes the next day's lunches, I do the dishes and we watch an hour of more adult-oriented fare. I'm enjoying the final season of "Boardwalk Empire" and she's content with whatever is on the Food Network. Lather, rinse, repeat, Monday through Friday.

The problem is what I'm doing for the 40-50 hours per week that I'm not a Dad is even less satisfying. And while I know griping about it in a semi public forum is unlikely to change things, perhaps there's a billionaire in the audience who wants to hire me to make sure his Bluetooth gadgets keep working. Just drop your name and contact info in the comments and I'll be in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment