Happy Birthday Lincoln! Now you are a super, sassy, sweet SIX! I am sure the coming year will be sensational--just like you are.
Today was a doubly exciting day because it was also the last day of school. Goodbye 5 and kindergarten, hello 6 and summer and soon-to-come first grade! Wow... time has surely flown.The last year was fantastic and full of "aha" moments as you embraced (for the most part) being a "big kid": riding the bus, starting kindergarten, tying your shoes, learning to read, figuring out video games, writing letters and stories...you grew up so much this year! It was thrilling to experience the small moments with you. I could actually see the light bulb engage when things began to click--so very exciting!!
School was a great fit for you. At first I worried because you are, well, on the tiny side... your classmates towered over you! But your big personality made up for that in no time, and you managed to grow a few inches this year to close that gap. Plus, you like to make people laugh (sometimes in ways that make mommies cringe, but would make Grandpa Bob guffaw!), and you are also a sensitive friend. That endeared you to your peers, and from what other parents have said, all the kids had "stories about Lincoln" to share at their dinner tables.
You are also becoming a master negotiator. Whether you want an extra book at bedtime, or to be done with dinner yet still get dessert, or to hit the toy aisles at Target, you set forth an argument, prepare a valid counter to whatever I say, and then figure out a compromise. Keep it up, and you might end up a lawyer, too!You still say you want to be a scuba diver when you grow up, and you love anything and everything to do with oceans. You also adore technology -- the iPad, iPhone, and video games, with Sonic the Hedgehog and Skylanders currently your favorites, and the Lego games (Batman, Star Wars) close behind.
Of course, there were plenty of times this year when you reminded me that despite all that growth, you are still a little kid. You like me to sing two songs at bedtime, want to be cuddled when read to, and tucked in every night. Bluey your blanket and those tasty fingers on your right hand are still part of your comfort routine (although the dentist keeps assuring us not to worry!), and you can still curl up in my lap. You can still whine with the best of them, and can also holler with the worst. You beg to be carried when you tire of walking (which is too easy to do since you are only 37 pounds!), and there are mornings when I have to shovel spoonfuls of yogurt into your mouth to make sure you eat something before the bus comes. Yes, mornings are very, very tough for you. You don't want to be woken up, don't want to be rushed, don't want to head out the door. Of course, once you do all those things, the excitement of the day catches you and off your run.
I am sure that you will continue to soar through the coming year. A.A. Milne wrote:
When I was one I had just begun
When I was two I was nearly new
When I was three I was hardly me
When I was four I was not much more
When I was five I was just alive
But now I am six, I'm as clever as clever;
So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever.
You are clever indeed, and I am excited to see what the next 365 days will bring. Happy Birthday, Bug! Mommy loves you so very, very much!
Happy Birthday Lincoln!
ReplyDelete