Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day

Carey gave me a little good-natured grief last night when she logged on and didn't see a tribute to her super-momness. It was only because I didn't have time, I assure you. She tells me she had a lovely day and that I gave her the best gift -- time to spend with her own mother, working our land. Grandma Vickie came down for Greta's birthday party on Saturday and the Mathews girls spent most of the daylight hours on Sunday planting new flowers around the house, relocating old ones (our foundation is being re-graded next month, so anything close to the house had to be moved) and mulching. I kept the kids as occupied as I could, but they spent plenty of time seeking mom's approval or digging in the dirt with her.

We started the day with brunch at Raymond's in Montclair, which has become our go-to celebration spot. Carey recommends the spinach, bacon and avocado omelette and I wolfed down the Huevos rancheros. Lincoln brought one of Greta's birthday gifts with him -- a mermaid swimming kit that is the closest he's come so far to being a real scuba diver.

 
After brunch, we dropped a c-note at Home Depot and trucked home with 15 bags of mulch. I didn't bother everyone with my camera, but here's a nice motherly one from Greta's party the day before.

We love you, Moms. Yesterday. Today. Tomorrow. Always.

1 comment: