Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Sleep aid

I got home last night about 9:30. Opened the door quietly, as always, and made sure not to slam it behind me. Tiptoed into the dining room and turned on the light. Looked up the stairs and who do I see? Carey and Greta! Greta's in her nightgown, looking at the floor, hair covering her face. Carey is standing next to her, hands on hips.

"What's going on?"

"I'm not talking," says Carey.

"Hmmmph. Hmmmmph. Daaaaddy!" says Greta.

I suggest Greta let me tuck her in.

"Goodnight, Greta," says Carey, as she walks, a bit louder than normal, down the stairs.

Greta climbs into her bed and pulls the covers over her face, whimpering.

"What's wrong, honey? Why aren't you sleeping already?"

"BECAUSE YOU WEREN'T HOME!"

Is it bad that that response made me feel so good? I curled up next to her, told her everything was going to be all right, and stroked her hair. For at least 10 minutes. It was the best part of my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment