Monday, May 5, 2008

Happy Birthday, Baby Girl

At this exact minute three years ago, Greta Corleen Merrill changed our lives forever. Here's how I summarized it in the journal I kept during our 20-day hospital stay:

How you entered the world: Scarlet, wet, tiny, crying. When they pushed on your skin, it looked like sunburn. You peed on the pediatric nurse, all over her blouse. You emptied your bowels about three minutes into your life, too. These are the things that make fathers proud. As for vitals, you were 4 lbs., 3 oz., and 17.6" long. Your feet were up by your ears when they tugged you out. It's 3:11 p.m. now - you're five hours old.

It all seems so far away now, as I watch you planting flowers with Grandma or herding your friends on the playground. You're an amazing little girl and I'm the luckiest father in the world.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Greta!!
    We can't wait to see you in a month!
    Love-
    Kate and Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Greta the Great!!!

    Eat lots of birthday cake for us, (and have a happy birthday)!
    Love, Riley, Matthew and Carah

    ReplyDelete