Thursday, November 2, 2006

First Flush


Although I think we've only blogged about it once, there have been at least three occasions where Greta has, without warning, added more to the bathtub than simply toys or bubbles.

Just over a week ago, she stood in the tub and said something that sounded like "bahpoo, bahpoo" to which I responded, "Greta, we don't stand in the tub because it's not safe. Let's sit back down." She sat, but kept saying "bahpoo, bahpoo." I started repeating it: "bahpoo, bahpoo...what are you saying? What do you want? Shampoo?" She shook her head "no." I tried again "Bahpoo...Winnie the Pooh?" Again, "no." She then stood back up, adamant and repeating "bahpoo," and leaning forward. I echoed her: "Bahpoo...bahpoo...[insert light bulb illuminating here] BATHROOM? You have to go to the bathroom? You have to poo?" I asked, to which she nodded vigorously. I immediately started to lift her from the tub to put her on the toilet when out popped a tiny poo that landed in the tub. I was too late, but at least now I knew the code word.

Fast forward to tonight: Greta was enjoying her bath, smiling and splashing, and then she suddenly turned serious. She stood up and declared "BAHPOO!"

"You have to poo?" I asked as I scooped her out of the tub and onto the toilet (we don't own a training chair yet). She nodded and repeated "Bahpoo!" Within seconds she did her business like a pro.

After I cleaned her up and changed her into her diaper and pajamas, I took her back to flush the toilet. I told her how proud I was of her and how it was good that there was no poo in the tub. She reached for the toilet handle, and with her first poo flushing down the pipes, I realized our baby girl isn't a baby anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment